After watching the BTN episode on Preferential Voting we had to answer these questions.
1. After watching the BtN Preferential Voting story, explain how preferential voting works to another student: Put your numbers from 1-4, lowest votes get knocked out and there votes go the the other leaders and so on.
2. For a political candidate to win their seat in an election they need to……
a. Win half the votes
b. Win half the votes plus one ✅
c. Win 100% of the votes
3. What is the official name for someone that counts the votes in an election? The Counter.
4. Not every country uses preferential voting. Can you name one? North Korea because they are a dictator.
5. Why are the advantages of a preferential voting system? That your second votes get counted up.
6. Why do minor parties prefer the preferential voting system? Because they can’t have advertisements.
7. What is the purpose of a “how to vote card”? To get the person to vote for that party.
8. What is a polling booth? Where people put there votes in.
9. Have you ever had to vote for someone or something? What was the process? To write down who I would like to get the MVP award.
10. Can you name the three major Australian political parties? Who are their leaders? Australian Greens-Richard Di Natle
Australian Labor Party-Bill Shorten
Liberal party Australia- Malcom Turnbull who currently runs Australia